Friday, September 25, 2015

My Heritage, Ecuadorian Style!

     Hello! So for today's blog I am going to be talking about my culture. To start, I am American-Ecuadorian. Which means I was born here in America, but my parents are from Ecuador. The specific city is Cuenca, Ecuador. In case you don't know where Ecuador is, it is in South America and it's pretty small compared to the other countries in South America. 
     What are Ecuadorian like, you may be asking. Well, let me begin with the language we or I speak. The language Ecuadorian's speak is Spanish. So when I'm at home or a family party I have to speak Spanish to my parents, aunts and uncles because that is the only language they can speak. If they try English I wouldn't really understand what they were saying.
     Anyways, now let's talk about food. Some of the food I eat at home is meat, corn, or rice. But there is this traditional food that my dad, aunts and uncle's eat that you can have as a pet here in America. It's Guinea pig. Don't worry I don't eat it I think it's pretty gross too. I visited Ecuador last year and my grandma had some Guinea pig. I got upset when I knew what was going to happen to them.
    Moving on, money is the next topic. In Ecuador we used to use sucres, with is what Ecuadorian money was called. I say USED because we don't use sucres anymore, we use American money now or dollars. Right now I have a five thousand sucre and you may think it's a lot if you trade it in or dollars, but really that would be a few cents. I also have other sucres with me, they were my dad's, but I keep them as a souvenir. They're really colorful compared to dollars.
   Overall, I really enjoy being Ecuadorian. It's a different culture than the ones my friends have. Most of them expect that I'm Mexican, because I can speak Spanish or I don't know what a common Mexican food is? When I do tell then I'm not Mexican they say other countries. Like Puerto Rico, Spain, or Cuba. I say not to all of them and tell them Ecuadorian. Most of them say "what?" I end up explaining what and where Ecuador is. In the end I come out proud that I am different from everyone else. What's your culture like?

No comments:

Post a Comment